It is believed that the root cause of every disease is poor gut health. And constipation is a typical problem that doesn’t let the gut health work properly. Of course, a nutrient-rich, balanced diet can provide relief. But the catch is that a diet chart can’t do its part properly without adding the flavor of routine modification. No doubt exercising is also inevitable, but yoga orients consciousness and fitness more effectively. That’s why today we’ll talk about yoga for constipation.
Digestive health walks a two-way road. For one thing, stress, anxiety, and nervousness affect gut health. On the other hand, improper digestion doesn’t let one focus on a task at hand wholeheartedly.
Building a healthy digestive system can’t happen at the drop of a hat. Many people lose their appetite when they are stressed, while others just can’t stop munching in a stressful situation. But consistent yoga and dietary improvements can surely take you ahead.
Table of Contents
Poses Of Yoga For Constipation
Yoga is no less than a blessing for us all, especially for those who can’t take out time for gyming. That’s why you must try these five poses of yoga for constipation relief.
1. Ardha Matsyendrasana (Half Spinal Twist Pose)
Internal movement of the abdominal organs is necessary for a healthy gut. Thus, Ardha Matsyendrasana is a great way to strengthen your digestive system.
- Sit on the yoga mat or a smooth surface. Straighten your legs forward, keeping your hands backwards (facing the mat or surface) for support.
- Now raise your left knee, bend it and place your left foot on the outer side of the other knee.
- While doing so, you can put your left hand backwards for support and your right hand on the right knee gently.
- Now keeping your legs intact, slowly turn your upper body towards the right. Stretch it a little (not too forcibly) and hold the position for a few seconds. Your face should turn backwards. Then come to your initial sitting pose. Repeat the same with the other leg while mindfully inhaling and exhaling the entire time.
2. Urdhva Mukha Svanasana (Upward Dog Pose)
This is an effective pose of yoga for constipation and bloating and will keep your gut health intact. It vitalizes the abdominal organs and boosts their functioning.
- Lie down on the floor with your stomach touching the floor. Keep your hands a little behind your shoulders.
- Now slowly, raise your upper body with the support of your arms. Yes, your arms will get stretched straight. Hold this position for a few seconds trying to keep your stomach free of contact from the ground.
- It’ll form a curve-like structure, as shown in the image. Ensure that your head is raised in a curvy position.
- Breathe in and breathe out during the entire process.
3. Malasana (Yogi Squat)
Yogi squat is an optimum asana of yoga for constipation relief. It has a positive effect on the abdominal region because of its ultimate squat position. If done on a regular basis, this can prove quite beneficial in relieving distress due to gas problems. Not just that, it also stimulates the elimination of waste that was earlier constipated.
- To start with this yoga for constipation alleviation, sit on your knees. Then lift both your knees, shifting all your body weight on your feet. You need to maintain a position like that of dand.
- Your feet should be both apart at some distance. Also, try not to put your body weight on your toes. It has to be on both feet.
- Keep your back straight and join your hands together in the prayer stance.
- Hold the squat position for half a minute or 1 minute.
- Stand up and repeat the squat again.
4. Setu Bandhasana (Bridge Pose)
This pose is a total package for strengthening abdominal organs altogether with the spine and stretching muscle organs of arms and legs. Now, as it is already clear from the name itself that the body will be in a bridge-like position. In case you’ve any shoulder or neck problem/s or injury/ies, don’t try this asana. So with that in mind, let’s proceed to discover how it is done:
- First of all, lie down with your back on the floor.
- Secondly, rest your arms on the floor with your palms facing the floor.
- Now the next two steps will happen simultaneously, so maintain the sync. Start bending your knees and stretching both your feet apart. Remember to keep your feet parallel.
- Raise your lower body and hips, putting the body weight on your shoulders, upper back, arm muscles, calves and feet.
- Then interlace your fingers and join your hands together. Extend the support of your shoulder muscles and upper back for this, but don’t over-pressurize them.
- After holding this position for a while as your body allows, free your hands and slowly let your back hit the floor.
- Get your legs back to the initial position and relax your body before going in for another round of this yoga for constipation alleviation.
- While going for this yoga, another time, inhale as you lift your body and exhale as you come back to your initial position.
5. Halasana (Plough Pose)
The main purpose of halasana is to improve the cognitive functions of an individual. Apart from that, it also amps up flexibility and stimulates abdominal muscles.
- Lie down on your back. Keep your legs straight.
- Then lift your legs up at 90 degrees (right angle) and then gradually try to take them past your head. Your toes must be touching the floor. For this purpose, you can take the help of your palms to lift and support your lower body.
- If you’re trying halasana for the very first time, try it near a wall so that your legs can get support. Slowly push yourself away from the wall because that will allow your legs to go past your head.
- When your toes touch the ground, hold the position for a few seconds and then return to your former position bit by bit.
- Once you get a grasp of the pose, keep the focus on your breath while inhaling and exhaling while doing the asana.
Constipation is quite a common yet painstaking problem that adversely affects normal routine life. In fact, if not treated on time, this can result in severe health conditions like faecal impactions and haemorrhoids (piles).
While healthy eating habits and dietary changes will provide relief from constipation, you must think about yoga for constipation alleviation. It’ll improve your gut health with ease without spending too much. The above article talks about 5 such yoga poses that can provide relief from constipation. Be considerate of your health issues and carefully perform these yoga poses.
If you can suggest any other yoga pose that can aid constipation, do mention it in the comment section.